Thursday, March 8, 2012

Becoming Rosie

Working as a Recreation Assistant, working full-time, and working at a camp full-time are all new experiences for me. And yes, "working at a camp full-time" is a completely different animal than "working full-time". I'm not trying to claim that one is harder or easier than the other. They are just both completely new experiences and I'm having to get used to them simultaneously.

Of course these new experiences each come with their challenges. In fact, if you know me well at all, you probably had to do a double-take at the beginning of this post to make sure that you were, in fact, reading Esther's blog and that she was, in fact, working as a recreation-anything.

I am not the most athletic person you will ever meet.  I am probably one of the girliest.
That is why I have been so surprised by myself lately.

I now carry a screw-driver everywhere I go like it's no big deal.
I actually (usually) can fix things if they're broken.
I am regularly seen in windpants or jeans and a t-shirt. (Just to give you an idea of the kind of thing I used to wear on a daily basis, every outfit in these pictures was chosen because it was the kind of thing I wore all the time while I was in college.)
I hardly ever wear makeup anymore.

I've learned things about myself that I never knew, and I feel more confident in myself every day.
This job is a good thing for me.

Many times throughout the years, I've helped my dad with the manufacturing part of his sign business. One time, my job was to put rivets in the sign in designated places. I was so afraid I would use the riveter the wrong way or mess something up. I've never felt comfortable using tools of any sort - not even a hammer! But, by the end of the night, I had mastered the art of using that particular tool. Dad congratulated me and called me "Rosie the Riveter." The name sort of stuck through the years (mostly, I think, because of how very unlike Rosie the Riveter I actually was).

But now? I actually feel like I'm growing into that nick-name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes! I'm so happy you decided to leave a comment.
I read every single one, and just love hearing from you!