Well, I could tell you about what I'd like to think my morning routine looks like
I could tell you how my morning actually went down today
I could do both:
I could do both:
I've never been super attached to the idea of a set-in-stone routine, and though I've been at the same job for a little over a year and a half now, my schedule has pretty much changed constantly over the course of that time - nothing that could be helped, and quite frankly something I've enjoyed about my job. As much as I'm really not a fan of change (I like to have a plan), I do tend to get bored with the same thing over and over. All these schedule changes gave me the opportunity to pursue various new things as different time-frames during the day opened up.
With my most recent schedule change, I ended up not going to work until 11, and I know myself well enough to know that, just because I could, I would sleep away my morning until such time as I had to get up to go to work.
That being so, I designed this morning routine that would make me actually get up at a decent hour, and laid it all out in my journal:
- My alarm goes off at 6:45, and I let myself snooze it until 7ish - I'm working on learning to get up before my alarm goes off if I wake up feeling rested
- I always keep my water bottle by my bed at night, so first thing when I get up, I drink whatever water is left in there
- Make coffee and have a quiet time - write out gratitude/answer Bible Study questions for the week.
- Make a green smoothie (theoretically, every Sunday, I stock the freezer with "smoothie packs" for the week - all the fruit I need for a smoothie in a plastic bag with the amounts of liquid base I'll need and any ingredients that shouldn't freeze listed on the outside of the bag)
- Get dressed + ready for the day + make bed + tidy bedroom and bathroom
- Dragged myself out of bed at 6:45, drank my water, and discovered that I was out of coffee creamer. Now, my love for coffee is pretty strong, but rather conditional on the availability of cream and sugar...
- Curled up on the couch, mourning the loss of morning coffee, checked emails, and might have dozed off for a minute or two?
- Looked at the clock to discover that it was 7:41! (Yoga class is at 8...)
- Suddenly realized I was starving, and hadn't made smoothie packs for this week, so raided the cabinet and found graham crackers and almond butter
- Threw on work-out clothes and headed out the door, except no! The "tidying" part of my routine hasn't been happening this week, and I just tossed my keys somewhere when I got home last night, so I can't find them now
- Found my keys on the bedside table, and looked at my bed, considering whether I should or should not make it - I'm washing linens today and I'm already late, so might as well not.
- Hit the gym
Side note: I just really wanted to say that... I'm still such a newb at the whole "working out" thing. This month, I bought my first gym membership, mostly for the fact that there are yoga and ballet exercise classes in the morning, but I have some time between the two classes, so I'm trying to learn how to use at least the basic equipment.
This morning, I felt like I was handling the treadmill like a boss, then I did the whole fall off the back of it thing, so that was great...
- Ran to the grocery store for creamer, and while I was there, remembered I need toothpaste too.
- Felt like I finally got my life back on track, then got home to realize it was body wash I was out of, not toothpaste...
I guess you win some and you lose some.