Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Reality Check

 photo d09a095a-c83b-4e61-9c9c-f724c46fc5af_zpsl2vcsssh.jpg

Well, I could tell you about what I'd like to think my morning routine looks like
OR
I could tell you how my morning actually went down today
OR
I could do both:

I've never been super attached to the idea of a set-in-stone routine, and though I've been at the same job for a little over a year and a half now, my schedule has pretty much changed constantly over the course of that time - nothing that could be helped, and quite frankly something I've enjoyed about my job.  As much as I'm really not a fan of change (I like to have a plan), I do tend to get bored with the same thing over and over.  All these schedule changes gave me the opportunity to pursue various new things as different time-frames during the day opened up.

With my most recent schedule change, I ended up not going to work until 11, and I know myself well enough to know that, just because I could, I would sleep away my morning until such time as I had to get up to go to work.

That being so, I designed this morning routine that would make me actually get up at a decent hour, and laid it all out in my journal:

 photo 3cab15c9-d5f5-442c-80bc-03e052919385_zpsqiyvcebi.jpg
  • My alarm goes off at 6:45, and I let myself snooze it until 7ish - I'm working on learning to get up before my alarm goes off if I wake up feeling rested
  • I always keep my water bottle by my bed at night, so first thing when I get up, I drink whatever water is left in there
  • Make coffee and have a quiet time - write out gratitude/answer Bible Study questions for the week.
  • Make a green smoothie (theoretically, every Sunday, I stock the freezer with "smoothie packs" for the week - all the fruit I need for a smoothie in a plastic bag with the amounts of liquid base I'll need and any ingredients that shouldn't freeze listed on the outside of the bag)
  • Get dressed + ready for the day + make bed + tidy bedroom and bathroom
Sounds pretty great, right?  And it really is when I actually carry through and make it happen, but some days that just doesn't work out so well for me.  As an example, here's what my morning actually looked like today:

 photo 6b65b57c-342c-4f07-af76-1c3baa64d931_zpsczetzxhx.jpg
  • Dragged myself out of bed at 6:45, drank my water, and discovered that I was out of coffee creamer.  Now, my love for coffee is pretty strong, but rather conditional on the availability of cream and sugar...
  • Curled up on the couch, mourning the loss of morning coffee, checked emails, and might have dozed off for a minute or two?
  • Looked at the clock to discover that it was 7:41! (Yoga class is at 8...)
  • Suddenly realized I was starving, and hadn't made smoothie packs for this week, so raided the cabinet and found graham crackers and almond butter
  • Threw on work-out clothes and headed out the door, except no!  The "tidying" part of my routine hasn't been happening this week, and I just tossed my keys somewhere when I got home last night, so I can't find them now
  • Found my keys on the bedside table, and looked at my bed, considering whether I should or should not make it - I'm washing linens today and I'm already late, so might as well not.
  • Hit the gym
Side note:  I just really wanted to say that... I'm still such a newb at the whole "working out" thing.  This month, I bought my first gym membership, mostly for the fact that there are yoga and ballet exercise classes in the morning, but I have some time between the two classes, so I'm trying to learn how to use at least the basic equipment.  
This morning, I felt like I was handling the treadmill like a boss, then I did the whole fall off the back of it thing, so that was great...
  • Ran to the grocery store for creamer, and while I was there, remembered I need toothpaste too.
  • Felt like I finally got my life back on track, then got home to realize it was body wash I was out of, not toothpaste...
I guess you win some and you lose some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes! I'm so happy you decided to leave a comment.
I read every single one, and just love hearing from you!