Friday, April 1, 2011

A Confession

BackGround Info:  For years (possibly forever, in fact), I've claimed to dislike gold.  Almost all of my jewelry has been silver and I felt kind of sad about even wearing necklaces with thin gold chains.  In my senior year of high school I discovered white gold and got excited about it, so I had to narrow my claim to not liking yellow gold.
My "class ring" for high school was not traditional.  My parents told me to pick out any kind of ring I liked and they would buy it for me.  I chose a pretty fairy-ish ring with a white gold band and a flower made of diamonds with an emerald center.  The only thing that clouded my joy about this choice was the fact that there was a tiny yellow gold twist underneath the flower (presumably the vine the flower grew on).  It took me several weeks after I got it to wear this ring for the first time, all because of that gold vine.
I know, I know.  I am slightly too obsessive about things sometimes, but I just really didn't like it.

When it came time for me to get my college ring, I knew I was going to get a traditional ring since I hadn't gotten one in high school.  I'd also decided, way back when I got my high school ring, that I wanted a silver or white gold college ring.  Of course.
However, when it came down to the actual moment of buying the ring, I caved at the advice of a friend and bought yellow gold for really only one reason: it looks more professional.  This is a very logical reason, but I have no clue why, after years and years of defiance against yellow gold, I made one of the biggest purchases I've ever made in yellow gold.

So now, we come to today.  I've been wearing my ring every day I possibly could since I bought it.  No weeks waiting to wear this one because I feel truly proud of the accomplishment it represents (after all, I've persevered through this thing called secondary education for almost five and a half years) . . . and because I spent so much money on the ridiculous thing!
Today I happened to glance down at my right hand in the golden midmorning light and I suddenly realized something.  Yellow gold actually looks really good with my skin tone.  And even more shocking:
Yellow gold is beautiful.
Did you catch that?  I like yellow gold.

Confession:  I've been lying all these years.
I'm sorry to have deceived you all for so long.

Little tid-bit of information:  "Golden" has always been one of my favorite words.  It's just taken me a long time to discover that I actually love what it's derived from as well.

1 comment:

  1. This post cracked me up, Esther, because I feel the same way about yellow gold. The only real yellow gold I have is my Aggie Ring - I went with traditional! Since getting it, I've adapted to wearing silver/white gold with my Aggie ring. Thought it would be hard, but it really isn't when you like what you're mixing. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Yes! I'm so happy you decided to leave a comment.
I read every single one, and just love hearing from you!