Thursday, January 27, 2011

Time for a Detox

The beginning of this year has been absolutely wonderful, amazing, fantastic, so much fun, kind of like a whirlwind, full, busy, a time of learning about myself, and flat out draining.

I'm in serious need of a detox physically, mentally, and spiritually.

This month has been so full of important events and adjustments to a new routine that I haven't been able to even think about eating right.  Most of the time it's been coffee to tide me over in the morning since I didn't have time for breakfast (everyone knows what happens to Esther if she doesn't eat breakfast), fast food for lunch, and late late dinners.  Oh, and did I mention I'm getting yucky sugar headaches again?  Well, I am.

Over the last year, I've let social "obligations" pile up high around me in addition to two jobs and full time classes.  That has deprived me of many hours of sleep, and everyone also knows that Esther needs at least seven hours of sleep every night in order to behave like a normal human being.  It's also taken a toll on my study time.  I barely scraped by last semester.

What with everything else going on, I've let go of any sort of daily or weekly or monthly devotional time.  I've been focused on things that shouldn't be my first priority and definitely are not my first love.

Now, before anyone reads this and says "Man, I've never heard Esther griping this much.", let me say I'm not trying to gripe here.  I don't regret this season in my life.  So many beautiful things have happened.

I've reached a new level in several old friendships.
I've started writing my thesis.  I feel like I've reached the top of the mountain and it's just downhill from here.
One of my best friends in the entire world got married last weekend and I was completely happy for her.
I've opened up my heart more than I have in a long time.

But I want more beauty and, most importantly, more simplicity.  So, February is detox month.

Physically - I'm not eating sugar.  I'm not buying coffee.  I'm not scheduling any out of town trips for any of my weekends.

Mentally - School is first.  Right now I am a student and, at least for this time, my heart is entirely in my education.  I love what I'm doing with my life and I don't want to let late nights mess with a good thing.  Early to bed, early to rise from now on.  I will learn to say no to even the good things.

Spiritually - I love the Lord with all my heart and with all my soul and all my strength.  He is above school, family, and friends.  I'm going to do things I haven't done as often as I shoud - go to church, have quiet times, tell Him what is going on in my life.  I've forgotten how much I love hearing His voice.  And the crazy thing is, He loves hearing mine too!

I want to remember that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes! I'm so happy you decided to leave a comment.
I read every single one, and just love hearing from you!