Thursday, August 23, 2012

Two Things

1.  I've always wanted to have the kind of house that people feel comfortable in - that people feel welcome into at any time.
Apparently I have that house.
This morning, I got up and went out onto the porch to have a quiet time.  I spent a good deal of time out there, and then went inside to make a quick smoothie.  The minute I turned off the blender, I heard a knock at the door.  This was odd, but I said "Yes?" and the door opened.
In walked one of my summer staffers.  All of the summer staff have been gone for a week and a half now.
I was definitely startled to see her, but it wasn't that surprising since she just lives in the next town over.  She walked in looking very sad and just joined me in the kitchen and started pouring her heart out.
Sure, I had to be at work in 15 minutes and it might have been an interruption to my morning, but it was so so wonderful to have that reassurance that people feel welcomed and comforted in my home.

2.  Longer even than I've thought about having my own house at all, much less having a house that people feel welcome into, I've wanted to be a runner.
I've never had any desire to actually run.  I just wanted to be a runner.
It just seems so cool, you know, to be a runner.  It just carries this connotation of health and fitness.  Not that being a ballerina doesn't carry that connotation or anything.  I just always wanted to be a runner.
Well guys, tonight I went on my first "real" run.
My old roommate came in for a few days to visit and she's lost a lot of weight and she's running a 5K soon.  She and one of my coworkers decided to run together tonight and I just jumped in to be able to spend time with them.  Best decision ever.
Okay, okay, so maybe we walked a little, ran a little, walked a little, ran a little, etc.  But we ended with lunges and stretches and everything and actually did a "work-out" and ohmygoshyouguys.
I'm hooked.  It was so exhilarating to push my body just a bit past what I thought it could do.
I definitely see more running in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes! I'm so happy you decided to leave a comment.
I read every single one, and just love hearing from you!