Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hmmmm. Suspicious. And Other Random Events.

So, someone just called me.
My phone rang and told me "No Name" was calling.  But it was my area code, and I make it a policy to always answer unknown callers with my area code just in case it's something important.  So, after I answered, the male voice on the other end said "Hey Ebony."
(Now, in case you're unaware, Ebony is not my name.)
Immediately after that, I heard a female voice talking in the background, who I'm almost sure was saying my name, and I thought, oh, that must be Ebony.  So I said "Hello" again in order to get the conversation off on the right foot.  The male voice on the other end immediately said "Oh, hi Leslie."
(Now, in case you're not aware, Leslie is not my name either.)
Hmmmm.  Suspicious.
"I'm afraid you must have the wrong number."
"Oh, but this is (here he quoted my phone number, the same number I've had for five years), right?"
I told him yes and he said he guessed it had changed.
I must admit that, under normal circumstances, I would have probed a bit and tried to find out who this person was just in case it was something important.  (It's still bothering me a little.)
But today of all days, I decided to come and sit in the "quiet zone" of the library where phone conversations are in very ill-favor.  As in, it's absolutely silent up here and the whole time I was half-whispering to this srtrange person on the "other end of the line" I felt every pair of eyes on the floor boaring into my back.
So I hung up.

Now, at this point, I feel like about half of the posts I've ever made on this blog are about weird phone conversations.  But this kind of stuff just happens to me all the time.  I have no idea why.

Okay, on to other things of note:
I almost ran over my own dog the other day.  That was not fun.  In her six years of life, I have never been successful in teaching her not to chase cars.  And mine is the worst.  I guess it represents the park and other cool places to her.  So yesterday when I was coming home, she practically dove under the rear tires.
Talk about a near heart attack.  I was already braking super fast,though, so she was fine and just ran across to the passenger side.
Now, as part of my trying to teach her not to chase cars, I've never let her get in the car unless it is off.  But yesterday was the exception to the rule.  I let her hop in and she was soooo calm the rest of the way to the house.  Okay, she still climbed all over the back seat before she finally settled on stretching between it and the console, so she was her own version of calm which might not seem calm to anyone else, but was, in fact, amazing.
So now I have dirty pawprints all over my backseat, but a live dog in my backyard.
I feel like it's a fairly good compromise.

I recently read Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth, a collection of short stories all about Bengali people who lived in America or Europe.  Nearly every story in it talked about drinking Darjeeling tea, so, the other day when I was at the store and saw Darjeeling tea, I picked it up, to see if it was really that great.  It was.  I'm considering replacing coffee with it for a while.  Coming from me, that says a whole lot.
Also, there was a character in that book who signed any missive he ever wrote with "Be Happy".
I think that is so wonderful.

So, without further ado, I'm headed straight into the open arms of the weekend (with a little bit of work and a meeting beforehand, but still).  I hope you're doing the same.
Be happy!

1 comment:

  1. a replacement for coffee!? that must be some stinkin' good tea!

    ReplyDelete

Yes! I'm so happy you decided to leave a comment.
I read every single one, and just love hearing from you!